MACULAR DEGENERATION Macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in those past the age of 70. As with so many chronic degenerative conditions, there is currently no effective medical treatment. There is, however, an effective nutritional program that reverses the condition. A Yakima Washington physician reported that he cured his own macular degeneration using selenium and vitamin E. (Washington State soils are so low in selenium that farm animals have died of "white muscle disease" which is a selenium deficiency.) Jonathan Wright, M.D. read of this and also found that these supplements helped his patients improve. The program was even more effective with added zinc, taurine, and gingko biloba. Dr. Wright also found that more than 90% of those with macular degeneration are low in stomach acid and digestive enzymes. This makes absorption of minerals difficult or impossible. Some people also have food allergies that damage the digestive tract and may have to avoid foods like wheat, milk, and corn to be able to absorb minerals. Dr. Wright suggests a supplement program that includes 1000 mg. of taurine twice a day between meals, 800 IU of Vitamin E per day, 60 mg. of zinc per day, and 200-300 mcg. of selenium per day. Two 60 mg. capsules of gingko biloba (50:1 extract) can be taken daily. A balanced multivitamin-mineral (like Oxygenic B) that supplies copper should also be used. Digestive enzymes are taken just before each meal. Stomach acid supplements (in the form of betaine hydrochloride) are used with each meal to aid digestion and absorption. This program will benefit about 95% of those with this condition. The other 5% have major absorption problems and may need IV injections of zinc and selenium. Dr. Wright has had the vision of a patient improve during the first IV. Others are adding zinc and selenium to 70% DMSO and rubbing it on the skin. This also works well, but requires expert help. Some people cannot tolerate large amounts of vitamin E. If you would like to try this program yourself, first ask your doctor if there is any reason you should not do it.